Wednesday, July 25, 2012

everybody spoils me nobody loves me



Agnes Varda is one of my personal heroes. Not only does she have THE BEST HAIR, but she managed to make beautiful films that featured strong and complex female heroines. She was a feminist filmmaker in a sea of otherwise uninterested or misogynistic peers (Godard, anyone?). Seriously, go watch Cleo from 5 to 7 (here's the first 10 minutes) and get back to me on how it changed your life.

I didn't actually know this existed until yesterday (here it is with English subtitles), but I'm already counting it as one of my favorite short films of all time. It's called Response de Femmes, and deals with real women's answers to questions like, "what does it mean to be a woman?" and "do all women want to be mothers?". Part of me wants to apologize for it being out of date, since we're supposed to be living in a post-feminist world and BLAH BLAH BLAH. But here's the thing. IT'S NOT. This shit still goes on and these are still questions/answers/discussions we should be having today. Oh, and it's really pretty too. In case you weren't sold already.

No comments:

Post a Comment